« Home | Hymn by Jars of Clay » | 37 » | Epic Ride through Northern AZ » | "Diets and I" ...a Shakespearian Tragedy » | Man I miss my bike... » | Veterans Demand Action Not Rhetoric From Obama » | Breaking News: FOX News hires Olbermann! » | Martial Law, Economic Meltdown, and Executive Orders » | Happy Halloween! » | 'Twas the night before elections » 

Monday, March 19, 2012 

I just want Scooooop...

I am a DIEHARD Syracuse Basketball fan. I grew up "down the street" from Hall of Fame basketball coach Jim Boeheim in Lyons, NY. I ride the tumultuous wave that is Syracuse Basketball each and every March as they play Tournament ball since the days Pearl Washington was electrifying the Dome.

So this season we have Antonio "Scoop" Jardine and Kris Joseph leading the team as Seniors as they make this season's push. Scoop decided to show some senior leadership in the second round vs Kansas St as he nailed the 3 and served up some delicious dishes for Christmas under the basket all second half long. It was a thing of beauty.

It is only because I haven't been conned into video taping my reaction to Syracuse losing Scoop after this season that you don't see my tear streaked face in the following video, but believe me, this could have just as easily been my 37 year old face on YouTube (minus the 50,000 hits):



Why do I bring this up?

Because when the reaction to a silly video like this is to have Scoop get in touch with the kid's mom to give this kid a birthday present, I remember why I love being a Syracuse fan all over again. (Despite all the negative press that has been circulating lately)

Syracuse.com reports:
After defeating Kansas State in the NCAA Tournament, the Syracuse basketball team is headed to the Sweet 16. That means fans of Antonio "Scoop" Jardine will get to see the Philadelphia native play at least one more game in an Orange jersey.

One of Scoop's biggest fans is Shane Oliver of Mattydale, who turned 4 years old on Saturday. The little guy became slightly famous on the Internet this month as more than 50,000 people have watched the video of him crying on YouTube when he found out that this is the last season at SU for Jardine, a fifth-year graduate student.

The Syracuse point guard saw the video himself and reached out to the boy's mother, Audrey Barone, on Twitter and arranged to meet him. Scoop met with Shane on Sunday after the team returned from Pittsburgh and gave the boy a birthday gift.

"I just met that Lil boy that was crying about me graduating and leaving Syracuse. #happybdayshane," Jardine tweeted afterwards.

So despite the fact that I will be on an airplane from Dallas to Vegas as they tip off in Boston vs Wisconsin in round of Sweet 16- I will be screaming jumping up and down and pulling clumps of hair out of my head assuming the plane's wifi connection allows me to stream what I can; I will be rooting for Scoooooop to continue to lead this team all the way to the promised land of their last (and first) Championship- New Orleans.

I will also be dodging the tazer leads of any Federal air marshals who determine that I am too zealous of a fan. So assuming I land alive and get to the nearest DVR that I have programmed to record the game, I will be screaming SCOOOOOOOP a little harder now.


Go Orange.

About me

  • I'm Peakah
  • From White Mountains, Arizona, United States
  • ...this isn't who it would be, if it wasn't who it is...
Check Me Out
Listed on BlogShares
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates